NOAA warns 2018 Hurricane Season could produce 10 to 16 named storms

National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration forecasters are predicting a 35 percent chance of an above-normal season, a 40 percent chance of a near-normal season, and a 25 percent chance of a below-normal season for the upcoming hurricane season, which extends from June 1 to Nov. 30.

“With the advances made in hardware and computing over the course of the last year, the ability of NOAA scientists to both predict the path of storms and warn Americans who may find themselves in harm’s way is unprecedented,” said Secretary of Commerce Wilbur Ross. “The devastating hurricane season of 2017 demonstrated the necessity for prompt and accurate hurricane forecasts.”

The Villages for nearly a decade had escaped serious hurricane damage. That all changed in 2017 with Hurricane Irma hit with a vengeance. The Historic Side of The Villages particularly suffered in the wake of Irma.

NOAA’s forecasters predict a 70-percent likelihood of 10 to 16 named storms (winds of 39 mph or higher), of which 5 to 9 could become hurricanes (winds of 74 mph or higher), including 1 to 4 major hurricanes (category 3, 4 or 5; with winds of 111 mph or higher). An average hurricane season produces 12 named storms, of which 6 become hurricanes, including 3 major hurricanes. 

The possibility of a weak El Nino developing, along with near-average sea surface temperatures across the tropical Atlantic Ocean and Caribbean Sea, are two of the factors driving this outlook. These factors are set upon a backdrop of atmospheric and oceanic conditions that are conducive to hurricane development and have been producing stronger Atlantic hurricane seasons since 1995.

“NOAA’s observational and modeling enhancements for the 2018 season put us on the path to deliver the world’s best regional and global weather models,” said Neil Jacobs, Ph.D., assistant secretary of commerce for environmental observation and prediction. “These upgrades are key to improving hurricane track and intensity forecasts, allowing NOAA to deliver the best science and service to the nation.”

COMMENTS DISCLAIMER We encourage users to issue comments that are well-informed and are relevant to the article in question. To be approved for publication, comments should be civil and avoid name-calling, personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity, commercial promotion, or CAPS LOCK. Any comments that fail to meet our criteria may be removed. Villages-News.com reserves the right and has sole discretion in removal of any and all comments that fail to meet our criteria. Read our complete terms of service by clicking here.